I’ve been spending some time thinking about how I want the player to feel whilst perusing my level. Curiosity and suspense were the first things that came to mind. When I use the word suspense I don’t mean like the sort of terrifying stomach clenching you get in horror games. I want the player to feel like they don’t know what they are going to see next, I want the level to feel like it is walking the line between reality and magic, a little like the feel you get when watching the secret garden.
When I was a child I always thought that film was about magic, but I re-watched it a few weeks ago and I was mistaken. I always feel a little scared when she enters the garden at first.. Who knows what could be hiding through that hedge. After a while though, once she’s explored, I felt almost fond of the place, like it’s a safe curiosity.
In order to successfully recreate this feeling, I think I plan to make the time of day at some time in the morning. I can imagine the vegetation being dewy and there being a patch of fog settled on the garden. Here are some internet gems that kind of visualise the feel I’m going for:
Ooh, mysterious!
No comments:
Post a Comment